The Institute of Vocational Learning and Workforce Research (IVLWR) grew from a collaboration between its founder partners: Bucks New University, Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust and Imperial College NHS Trust.
The Institute now works with a partnership of over 30 health and social care employers in North West London, Buckinghamshire and the Thames Valley.
While the Institute has a particular interest in health and social care support workers, its remit includes the whole workforce, including registered staff, research and evaluation.
The IVLWR aims to:
- support and share best practice to maximise the contribution of support workers to safe and productive quality care
- undertake service redesign, including the development of new roles
- audit, research and evaluation
- support the design of effective and innovative vocational education and training, including higher apprenticeships
- encourage partnership working between health and social care employers, and other stakeholders such as the CfWI.
Current IVLWR activities include:
- the publication of a Maternity Support Working guide for the Royal College of Midwives
- an impact evaluation of workplace training programmes with the CfWI, researching the demand for social care apprenticeships and personal assistants
- NHS North West London, a rapid review of best practice in shifting care out of hospitals.