A strategic review of the future dentistry workforce: Informing dental student intakes
The Centre for Workforce Intelligence (CfWI) was commissioned by Health Education England (HEE) and the Department of Health (DH) to forecast and analyse the future supply of and demand for the English dental workforce between 2012 and 2040. The report will support HEE, DH and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) in policy decision-making to secure the dental workforce of the future and specifically the number of students required.
The purpose of this second review of student intake is to
- support the provision of training for the right blend of dental workforce to meet the needs of the population, including the wider use of all members of the dental team and the impact of this on the need for trained dentists
- inform investment decisions on dental student intake
The report says:
- Intervention is recommended to bring the future supply and demand of dentists into balance.
- Ongoing monitoring and regular periodic review of workforce supply and demand are needed.
- Also important is that there is a continued drive to improve dental workforce data
An executive summary is also available on this page.