The technology horizon: Preliminary review on technologies impacting the future health and social care workforce
This paper considers five types of technology:
- therapeutic – technologies used in the treatment of disease and injury, including pharmacological, surgical and psychological therapies
- diagnostic – technologies for identifying diseases and other conditions
- enabling – technologies that mitigate the impact of disease or disability
- preventive – technologies that reduce the risk or severity of illness and injury
- organisational – technologies supporting alternative health and social care delivery configurations and organisational design.
This report has been prepared in conjunction with the University of Manchester, a partner of the CfWI horizon scanning programme. It is based on simple interpretation and extrapolation of trends, and does not intend to predict the future.